7/31/2008

Mid-Summer Music 2008

I just have to tell someone about these jams...

Grouper
Dragging A Dead Deer Up A Hill

Whispery ambiance that harkens back to the glory days of early nineties 4AD releases like Cocteau Twins and This Mortal Coil. When I heard "Heavy Water/I'd Rather Be Sleeping" for the first time I felt like I was spying on my wife, Skye, growing up in South Dakota. 4AD releases shaped her aural landscape as a highschooler and I'm starting to understand the relationship of the music to the horizon and lonely expanse of the open plains. Anyways, isn't that the best album title you've ever heard?

Listen to "Heavy Water/I'd Rather Be Sleeping"



Fight Bite

Emerald Eyes

So this year I fell hard for Beach House's "Devotion," an album that I've proceeded to pimp out to every soul that would bear to listen. My carpool buddy, Marc has got to be sick to death of it by now. Anyways, lucky for him I've found a fresh, new successor to my obsessiveness. Fight Bite is like the crunchy to the smooth Beach House peanut butter. But you know, it still tastes like peanut butter, which is awesome. And who doesn't love peanut butter? If you don't love peanut butter you can get the hell off my blog, that's for sure. But seriously, lush, dreamy haze pop...I can't get enough of it.

Listen to "The Accident"


Au
Verbs

Au's Verbs is like a brilliant gem forged far beneath the mountains of Appalachia, plucked from the soil by a celestial being and presented to the inhabitants of earth. "Here you go earth buds..." it might say, "No matter what you do, whatever you decide to do is ok. You're ok. Now here's some jams to loose your mind to."

Listen to "RR vs. D"


The War on Drugs
Wagonwheel Blues

Doesn't this guy sound like Dylan? Dylan and the Boss? Plus Petty? But wait, they sound like something completely different than that too. Huh. This is my declared Summer Jam 2008.

Listen to "Taking The Farm"


Some other stuff worth checking out: The new Mogwai jam, "The Sun Smells Too Loud," and stuff from Human Highway, M83, and Ratatat. Listen to all of it here: http://tigerfile.muxtape.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home